Lang, the fairly loud Bobcat, cat-like calls I caught on DAT recorder ar

Subject: Lang, the fairly loud Bobcat, cat-like calls I caught on DAT recorder are more like aoowau, aoaoauoh, ouwe, ouh.
From: "Richard Lyttle" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:25:50 -0400
I was incorrect to describe it as a baby sound. it sounds like a
throat-constrained, semi-deep, garbled cat meowing fast?. loud though. a
calling, bothered cat?

owu, ooouh, oweuh, oweauhh, oueah, oueah, slower then fast, fairly loud for
20 seconds, emphatic. 2:15 am.
cat in heat? pained? complaining?, stating i'm here, why are you, maybe?
then for 4 seconds, a minute later louder, sharper repeated ouweh, owh,
oeweh.

we woke up in the tent at the last call but not enough to know what we
heard, just caught the tail-end of it and foggily went right back to sawing
logs. unfortunately have that on tape as well!

the call seemed 200-400' away through the woods, maybe less. we were camped
on a forested-ridge, no other campers within a mile.

then later, briefly, racoon in trouble sounds an hour later, 3am.

Cougars and Bobcats mating season, according to research is not just in
Spring, can be earlier, later in year, too.

Barred owls were there throughout the night doing their calls, duets and
occasional comic 2-bird chuckling routines (like we -the barreds- have had a
few too many and we are going to play with you, buddya!!, or some bad joke
between them they don't let us in on)
from 11 to 4, actually the Barreds are spectacular there, Green Ridge State
Forest.

Barrreds are our most orally entertaining owl, of course here in the east.
The Great-Horned try to keep up but they are too regal and formal to get in
real gutter-talk like the Barreds, but they will verbally spar with the
Barreds infrequently..

sorry, i barely know how to post, much less upload. i am having technical
difficulties w/echo digital audio and adobe audition. I repeat: I am
computer/audio-editing challenged.

it will take me awhile Lang to get this up. I will be duping it this weekend
to cd from there i'll need instructions as to how to get it out on this
group assuming i can resume these connections.  I would mail it to you if
need be. I'm slow with computers, good at getting sounds, though.

have many interesting sounds on tape from east coast, and from my years,
1992-1995 in Oregon, Washington. spending my time in central and western
Maryland, WVA taping now at night.

been taping now for 13 years at night, mostly trying for predator sounds.
nothing spectacular, yet, but...

Best, Rip Lyttle, Silver Spring, MD