Re: > Newbie request for advice on getting started

Subject: Re: > Newbie request for advice on getting started
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:39:32 -0400
From: Bj=F6rn Eriksson <>

> Hello!
> I think the choise of minidisc can be a good one.
> You can find loads of information on different minidiscs, like what capci=
ties they have and more at www.minidisc.org    You also find some informati=
on on different microphones and how to use them over at www.transom.org  Al=
so be prepared to spend some more than $100 if you are going to record soun=
ds with good quality even if it is possible to find better used equipment i=
f you search.

I should maybe point out that the internet is stuffed with info on
things like mics, but virtually none of it is nature recording oriented.
Mic choices for nature recording are different than for the other
styles, particularly for indoor styles.

In nature recording we are out in the environment, so are our mics. The
ability to provide good sound anyway is absolutely necessary for nature
recording mics. Many high quality mics fail this test, in particular
humidity sensitivity is a problem.

In addition nature recording is done at greater distances than most
other recording. This requires that mics be sensitive. And usually
directional. It's quite different doing a radio interview within a few
feet of someone or recording a frog at 100'.

Nature recording also deals with areas that are generally quieter. A
microphone has some noise it produces as a simple result of it's design,
regardless of the sound you are trying to record. You want the
microphone's self noise the be as widely different from the sound you
are recording as possible. So nature recording microphones need to be
low self noise.

It's worth reading other mic discussions, just realize that their
recommendations may be way off.