Re: moving recordings from MD to computer question

Subject: Re: moving recordings from MD to computer question
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:38:40 -0400
From: Aaron Ximm <>

> If you mean, you are trying to "upload" recordings from the recorder via
> its NetMD connection, it *is* impossible. Such uploading will via USB at
> data speeds will not be possible with any Sony gear until Sony releases
> (as they have recently said they will) a "backdoor" app to export
> recordings made with Hi-MD as .WAV files (for PC users) -- and then, it
> will only be possible for recordings made with new Hi-MD decks, maybe only
> PCM recordings(?) -- all TBD. Sony does not have a good track record in
> this regard.

Nor does any other MD manufacturer of consumer gear. They are far too
tied up by the legal entanglements put in by the help of congress and
the recording industry. You are assumed to be pirating music if you record.

> In the meantime, you can do digital transfers using an MD deck with
> optical/SPDIF coaxial outputs in realtime -- but no portable player has
> digital outputs;

Ummm, hate to sound like a broken record, but my MD recorder is
portable, has optical, SPDIF Coax, and USB for digital audio output.
There are at least two MD portables that have digital outs, the HHb
Portadisc I use and the Marantz one.

And, yes it does cost more, but you get a whole bunch more than just
digital outs for your money. Particularly with the Portadisc.