Re: Marantz? Please advise a newbie on the brink of purchasing.

Subject: Re: Marantz? Please advise a newbie on the brink of purchasing.
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 01:22:12 -0000
Jeff Klatt wrote:
>...He mentioned a Marantz (sp?) recorder which records
> directly to CD. Is this something that people regularly use?

I think your friend is referring to the Marantz CDR 300.  It's a
decent quality machine that records directly to CDs.  Here's a link to
the Denon-Marantz web page that describes it:

http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=1548&CatID=19&SubCatID=178

The problem with this machine for field recording is that it's really
heavy -- 7 lbs.  And it's designed to run on mains power or a massive
12 volt lead acid battery.  It's also supposed to be placed on a level
surface when recording.  So it's really not a good choice when you're
planning to carry the recorder on your shoulder in the field.

Take a look at consumer grade minidisc recorders from Sharp and Sony
($200 to $400).  They don't provide 48 volt power for your mics, but
otherwise will work ok with the proper cable (3.5mm stereo mini-plug
on the minidisc end).

I particularly like the Sharp MD-DR7 (discontinued) and MD-DR77
(current model) minidisc recorders.  Both have a pre-roll buffer that
continuously captures about 5 seconds of sound while the machine is
set to record/pause.  Release pause and these 5 seconds are recorded
to disc along with the live sound.  This takes the worry out of
waiting for an intermittant sound like a bird song to begin.  It's a
feature common in pro recorders, but not found in any other
consumer-grade minidisc machine.

AudioCubes' web pages still show the MD-DR7 in stock.
http://www.audiocubes.com/index.php?cPath=71_75&osCsid=b546975ead4eea35b8715fd1ea84736f

--oryoki