Re: moving recordings from MD to computer question

Subject: Re: moving recordings from MD to computer question
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:04:28 -0700 (PDT)
> I'm having a problem moving some recordings from my sony mz-s1 net md
> walkman to my computer. Apparently, using the Sonic Stage software this
> is impossible.  Has anyone gotten around this?  If so, how? Or do I have

If you mean, you are trying to "upload" recordings from the recorder via
its NetMD connection, it *is* impossible. Such uploading will via USB at
data speeds will not be possible with any Sony gear until Sony releases
(as they have recently said they will) a "backdoor" app to export
recordings made with Hi-MD as .WAV files (for PC users) -- and then, it
will only be possible for recordings made with new Hi-MD decks, maybe only
PCM recordings(?) -- all TBD. Sony does not have a good track record in
this regard.

In the meantime, you can do digital transfers using an MD deck with
optical/SPDIF coaxial outputs in realtime -- but no portable player has
digital outputs; you'll need a home component deck -- I use a Sony JB920
for this and have for years to good effect. Note that this model does not
support MDLP modes however (not that you'd make valued recordings in LP
modes, of course...!).

 best,
  aaron

PS there is a bit more in the headaches of this on my website, if you hit
the 'links resources' ... "gear I use" page.

  http://www.quietamerican.org