Help upgrading my sound recording system

Subject: Help upgrading my sound recording system
From: <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:38:12 -0400
Hi,

Let me first state that I am no audiophile, rather a birder who likes to make
decent recording in the field and is truly portable. By decent I mean good
enough that others can use the recordings, and by portable, I mean capable of
carrying it all day in addition to my bins, scope/tripod, camcorder, etc. I
simply do not have room for PMD670-like machines (what happened to Denon's
equivalent?).

I currently have an old Minidisc (pre-NetMD), a Sennheiser MKE300, and a
Radioshack doorbell speaker (my ears are too sensitive for headphones). I have
just upgraded my microphone to a K6/ME67 (the MKE sits on my camcorder) and now
I need to rethink the rest of my gear.

Firstly, do I need a special XLR to mini-jack connector if I use Sennheiser
ME67/K6 with the stereo mic input on my MD? I have an old XLR to 1/4 stereo
plus adapter but the cable is too long and there is too much play in the XLR
mount. What is a good brand of cable?

I am aware of the advantages of using line-level input and using a separate
preamp but none that I have seen seem practical in the field. During my
internet prowl I came across what I think is a perfect mic preamp from Maycom
called the MicTube:
http://www.raperandwayman.com/rw/product.asp?mscsShopperID=&dept%5Fid=15&pf%5Fid=MAY%2DMT

I've noticed just how sensitive the mic is to being held so is it worth getting
a small shock mount and if so which one?

I will stick with the minidisc format but does anyone have an opinion on using
the iPod-like/flash card machines for making "decent" recordings? iRiver has a
couple of models which to my ignorant eyes (ears?) seem capable, such as the
iHP-120.

I'm sorry if this seems a long list of questions but surfing the web or reading
magazine serves only confuse and frustrate me.

Cheers & thanks for any help

Jim Hully
Salisbury, MA