Re: Help upgrading my sound recording system

Subject: Re: Help upgrading my sound recording system
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:52:14 -0000
"Andrew Carter" wrote:
> another preamp can found here:
> http://www.felmicamps.co.uk/

The Felmicamps approach differs from the Maycom MicTube.  The FEL 3.5
series is better described as a signal booster than a pre-amp. It
provides a constant 20dB of amplification to the signal from your mic.
 The cable must be plugged into the mic input on your minidisc machine
because the signal booster runs on plug-in power.  So your mic signal
still runs through the minidisc pre-amp before being recorded.  You
control the level of the recording via the volume control on the minidisc.

The Maycom MicTube, on the other hand, has its own level control,
raising the microphone output as much as 55dB.  The resulting signal
is high enough to run into the line-in port on the minidisc, bypassing
the minidisc pre-amp circuit. That's a good thing, since consumer
grade minidisc machines have relatively noisy pre-amps.

Since the MicTube has its own battery, it can be used with any
recorder that has a line-in port.  The FEL 3.5 series has no battery
of its own, and so requires plug-in power which AFAIK is available
only on minidisc machines.

Another advantage of the MicTube is its LED level indicator.  Once you
have some experience using the MicTube with your recorder, you should
be able to control the level of the signal without looking at the
recorder's meter.  A minidisc's meter is often tiny and hard to see in
bright light without holding it up to your face.  In fairness, this is
an advantage only if you plan to hand-hold your mic.  If you place
your mic in a floating mount or encase it in a wind cover, you will
need to add a section of cable between the MicTube and the back of the
microphone.

Nick Roast of Felmicamps participates in this Yahoo group. See message
11649 for a more complete description of the advantages of the FEL 3.5
series.

I have used the FEL 3.5 series signal booster, and it does improve the
quality of recordings on consumer-grade minidisc machines.  The
increase in signal strength means you can record with the minidisc
volume on a low setting, reducing unwanted side effects.  I'll try to
get a MicTube, and compare the results.

Felmicamps 3.5 series
http://www.felmicamps.co.uk/Products/fel3.5series.html
~$90 USD, out of stock at minidisco.com

Maycom MicTube
http://www.maycom.nl/anounced.html (scroll down)
bradleybroadcast.com is US distributor for Maycom, but I don't know if
they carry this product.  Cost would be about $230 USD

--oryoki