Re: tuning tubes

Subject: Re: tuning tubes
From: Jeremiah Moore <>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 23:37:35 -0700
It's PVC tubes from the hardware store.  Mic position within the
length of the tube is important - think in terms of harmonics, like
nodes on a guitar string; i.e. divide the tube in 3 and place a mic
at one of the divisions to emphasize the 3rd harmonic.

You can make a simulation with a digital delay, turn the feedback up
high-ish, modulation to zero (if the delay has a modulation control)
and start around 100ms and sweep around with delay time from there.

-jeremiah

>Hi,
>I heard about this on public radio. I wonder of anyone on this list has
>experimented with this.  City sounds are recorded by placing a mic at a
>harmonic node in a large "tuning tube" mounted on a car.  The tube is
>tuned to Bb.  This apparently acts as a filter to pass only the
>fundamental Bb and its harmonics.  This renders a musical, dreamy
>quality to the cacophony of the source sounds.
>
>http://www.nextbigthing.org/   Show #441, scroll down to: City Symphony
>
>Do you think one of these tube setups could be created inexpensively?
>What kind of tube material, or mic would be required?  Perhaps this
>tuning effect could be roughly simulated by using some kind of EQ or
>filter. Any ideas?=20
>
>-Qua
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."
>Klas Strandberg
>Yahoo! Groups Links

jeremiah lyman moore | san francisco | sound+media |
http://babyjane.com/timeweb/
http://northstation.net/ organic, mechanized, organized sound