Re: tuning tubes

Subject: Re: tuning tubes
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 00:08:28 -0700 (PDT)
Re: filtering for pitch,

> tuning effect could be roughly simulated by using some kind of EQ or
> filter. Any ideas?

I've done some composition based on the selective filtering of different
sources (eg, wave sound, or complex soundscapes) by pitch, but instead of
using tubes in the environment, I did processing in post using FFT filters
I created to pull out specific frequencies. (If you're unfamiliar with FFT
filters, think: many-thousand-band graphic EQ).

Eg, to pass only that part of a given recording that's pitched A, I would
pass a narrow band at 400 Hz, 800 Hz, 1600, etc. up the octaves... my
software, Samplitude (PC only) allows you to "draw" a curve by hand; I'd
draw bell curves centered around each pitch. I now have a good library of
them at useful pitches, for well-tempered diatonic scale and the gamelan
slendro and pelog scales.

(I've also done some work "stacking" various filtered versions of specific
single recordings to pull out triads, and used shelving EQ downstream to
change the "spelling" of the chords if you will.)

It's a lovely effect, I first got excited by it when I experiemented
filtering everything out of a cityscape that wasn't in the C major
triad. I just wrote a residency proposal actually describing use of this
technique specifically on wave-sound; the results are quite magical!

As it happens, I just heard Maggi Payne (Mills College, electroacoustic
composer) at the Exploratorium this weekend at a great show on field
recordings and their applications in composition here in SF, and she
described using resonant filters to produce a very similar effect, though
one that obscures the source more. (Some other Nature Recordist folk were
presenting in the great line up, btw, Jason Renier and Paul Matzner played
part of their 19-channel (I think) duck pond installation using Lang's
recordings... David Dunn played some great hydrophone and tree-probe and
ultrasoudn recordings...!)

 best,
  aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org