Re: for all you high end surround heads out there

Subject: Re: for all you high end surround heads out there
From: antonio celis <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 01:15:06 -0500 (CDT)
Lang Elliott, you wrote,

>Also, while the design looks really neat, there are
some inherent problems
>in placing the rear mikes on a "head" without any
barrier between the rear
>and the front mikes. This will result in phase
problems between the fronts
>and rears. Maybe the result sounds okay when played
in 5.1, but the design
>is not clearly a great one.

 --- Dan Dugan <> escribi=F3:
I don't understand why, if not having a barrier
between front and
rear causes phase problems, not having a barrier
between left and
right doesn't cause phase problems! I don't think you
need that
barrier.

-Dan Dugan

Hi all

I don't know what kind of mic is using the Holophone
and how is the position of each mic. But I think the
Holophone should work good without the barriers cause
is made for TV, Film-makers, etc.

But if we're talking about 4 ch, I think the barrier
depends on the needs of the recordist. Probably having
the same separation between fronts and rears and
rights and lefts we can have a truly sense of
soundscape (having working each mic in the same way to
the others; again thinking in 4 ch). In my case, what
I'm trying to do is to get the best sense of location
of each sound recorded (p.e bird songs and calls to
monitoring them) and for me the barriers work great.
But if the idea is to record soundscape for TV or
other things probably the Holophone is a good option
and the barrier is not necesary (thinking that a
person is going to be listen sitting in a chair).

Recently, I did some little experiments with 4 ch and
doing comparisons using different material to separate
the mics, different sizes of material to separate,
different distances between mics and different
positions of mics (horizontally and vertically and
angles). After this "home-made" tests, one of MY most
important things is to have in each mic a good
isolation from the others (at least the necessary for
your needs). In the case of the Holophone the
separation between right front and left front is the
face shape (or E.T face) but the case between fronts
and rears is different, what it means the rear mics
are working in a different way than the fronts but
because is made for TV and broadcasting probably is
fine (sorry about my technical vocabulary, english is
not my first language).

Another thing that is really true is the quality of
the mics. One of the problems that I have is that I
have been using a very noisy mics and I really can
listen this problem.

I think it will be good to test the work of the
barriers in 4 ch (all different options like sizes,
materials, etc) to figure it out if they really work
and what is best.

I hope the expertise can make suggestions

Antonio Celis

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Antonio Celis Murillo
Center for Conservation Biology