DYI Mics

Subject: DYI Mics
From: "Daniel De Granville" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:01:42 -0400
Hi Folks,

How about building a stereo set of microphones in a parabola using these lo=
w-cost cartridges available at Panasonic industrial gear's website? http://=
www.panasonic.com/industrial/components/rec_mic.htm

I understand that some of them can provide nice results, especially if powe=
red with a higher voltage than recommended by the manufacturer. One can als=
o do a couple more changes in them to get even better results.  I also saw =
that some of these cartridges are the same type used for making some pretty=
 good microphones that we can find for sale.

Of course I will not get as good a result as using a pair of MKH-20's, but =
while these cost about 1100 US, each of those cartridges can be found for n=
o more than 3 US! I think it might be worthwhile, at least for some experim=
entation on stereo before going for the real (and costly) stuff. And if you=
 wreck a couple of those while trying to modify them, no big deal.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Daniel De Granville
Pantanal, Brazil