Re: DYI Mics

Subject: Re: DYI Mics
From: "Eric Benjamin" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:12:36 -0000
One way of looking at what Walt says is that, if you can afford a
good mic, then you should buy a good mic.  And if you can't then you
investigate less pricy alternatives.  Good omnis like the Schoeps MK-
2 and Sennheiser MKH-20 have a self noise of about 10 dBA, which is
about 20 dB quieter than most of the small capsules that we
micBuilders fool around with.  And that's a lot.  But then they cost
a 1000 times less, too.

But there is another reason why one might wish to use a small
inexpensive capsule.  You can look at it as a disposable microphone.
I have a friend who records frogs and she places the capsule very
close to where she believes that the frogs will be vocalizing, which
means the microphones are very close to the water.  If a capsule
falls in the drink, it just gets replaced.  Only a dollar's worth of
material has been lost.  And some very good recordings can be
obtained in that way.

I happen to be interested in recording the sound of surf, and there
is no way that I want to take even a moderately expensive microphone
into the surf, no matter how well protected it may be.

Eric

--- In  Walter Knapp <>
wrote:
> From: "Daniel De Granville" <>
>
> > How about building a stereo set of microphones in a parabola
using these low-cost cartridges available at Panasonic industrial
gear's website?
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/components/rec_mic.htm

> > I understand that some of them can provide nice results,
especially if powered with a higher voltage than recommended by the
manufacturer. One can also do a couple more changes in them to get
even better results.  I also saw that some of these cartridges are
the same type used for making some pretty good microphones that we
can find for sale.

> > Of course I will not get as good a result as using a pair of MKH-
20's, but while these cost about 1100 US, each of those cartridges
can be found for no more than 3 US! I think it might be worthwhile,
at least for some experimentation on stereo before going for the real
(and costly) stuff. And if you wreck a couple of those while trying
to modify them, no big deal.

> > Any thoughts?
>
> These will work, almost any mic can be used if it's small enough.
They
> are pretty high in self noise, and that's something that the mods
don't
> change. The mods are designed primarily to allow them to work with
> louder sounds, ie Rock Concerts.
>
> You may want to join the yahoo group: micbuilders, a whole group
devoted
> to DYI Mics if you are going to get into that sort of thing. They
> endlessly tinker with cheap capsules. You can get lots of help
there.
> Just remember a lot of them are recording Rock Concerts or other
loud
> things. Though more and more are paying attention to quieter things.
>
> MKH-20's can be had for considerable less than their list price.
Ebay,
> or even checking dealers for used ones. My pair cost less than the
> single list price virtually new off ebay. Still lots of money. It
is a
> point to build experimental things with cheaper capsules sometimes,
> particularly if there is a risk to the capsules. And as long as
it's
> realized that the full extent of the project involves putting in
better
> mics in successful experiments.
>
> One thing to note, no matter if it's cheap capsules or MKH-20's
it's not
> the same thing as a Telinga, even using the Telinga reflector. The
> Telinga's good characteristics are as much or more the design of
it's
> stereo mics as the dish. Using different mics you are building
something
> different. That's not a judgment on which is better, just that they
are
> different. Calling a homemade design a Telinga just because it uses
the
> reflector just adds confusion. Just as attempting to describe the
> abilities of a Telinga by using some other parabolic's
characteristics