for all you high end surround heads

Subject: for all you high end surround heads
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:31:59 -0500
It could work like this. After setting up a realistic field with the
quad mic sources on L, R, LR, RR, (from 2XSASS etc,), a mono element
is assigned a place within this speaker array with two control
numbers: one determines the spot on the 360 perimeter and the other,
the apparent distance from the center (by sending tiny or larger
amounts to adjacent speakers).  Assignments are made with typical
rubber band breakpoints on the timeline so changing the position of
an element in time is easy. For realiistic tone, one can use insert
plugs in the mixer to adjust eq, dynamically if needed. Tom Erbe's
SoundHack is the only HRTF  application I've used. It does a nice job
on overhead paths--its not a real time plug though. I often record
the pin points in stereo and sometimes use both channels in a tight
stereo pattern.  If anyone knows of VST/AU surround control plugs out
there, I'd be interested in learning about them. Rob D.