for all you high end surround heads out there

Subject: for all you high end surround heads out there
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:34:06 -0500
At 3:33 PM -0400 6/18/04, Walter Knapp wrote:
>From: "Rich Peet" <>
>>
>>  I really feel that many of the movie production people have missed
>>  the boat on surround sound and with their camera based thinking
>>  always want the recorded sound in front of the source.
>
>The movie folks are just going along with human design. Humans are
>primarily visual, with hearing secondary. So sound as support of the
>visual is the way it's going to be, particularly with movies. And
>without movies it's hard to keep people focused on the sound.

1. Audio mixers usually face one direction too. One of the reasons I
spend so much time working on the low-end is establishing distance
coming from all directions so it feels like I am in the middle.  In
my opinion, the ideal system would not only have matched, full range,
all around but each would be bi-amped with a separate subwoofer. The
single .1 sub is a front prejudice too.

2. Its possible to make an audio program that overpowers the visual
and provides more grounding. The result is refreshing and not
disorienting. The more I explore how space can be portrayed with
sound and image, the less comfortable I am with the convention that
humans are "visually dominant."  The attention dedicated to visual
stimuli in mediated portrayals may even be compensatory.

3. The idea that audience expectations necessitate a front soundstage
will soon fade. My sound class made 12- 5.1 movie soundtracks this
Spring that ignored front and even the grandmas in attendance at the
public screening said they enjoyed hearing things decentered.

We're not focused on what "most people do," or we wouldn't be
recording the stuff we do.  Because we are trying to capture species
interacting in natural locations, we are in good positions to
experiment and suggest improvements. Even if one realizes one working
stereo or surround set-up in a studio, it's important, not hermetic.
It's rare to find a human that is not fundamentally intrigued by any
program or experience that draws attention to how his/her perceptual
systems work. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department