Re: for all you high end surround heads out there

Subject: Re: for all you high end surround heads out there
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 11:45:35 -0400
For surround, I simply want the gain to be the same on all four channels,
not the source signal volume. I'd rather not have to worry about it all. I
don't want to adjust it by ear, or just approximate it. Otherwise the
imaging is thrown off. And even a few decibels can make a big difference, I
think especially with surround applications.

From: Lang Elliott <>

> Walt:
>
> But how then do I get the levels on all channels exactly the same? This is
> very important in surround work. I really would like to gang all the volume
> controls so that it's easy to make adjustments in the field. Otherwise I
> guess I could get a clicker and hold it directly over the mikes and then
> adjust volumes in the studio, but this still might not be accurate enough.

I used to fuss about getting the channels the same. Then it finally
occurred to me that the sound we are recording is not the same level
from all directions. I'd think that would be even more so in surround.
Trying to get the volumes the same from all 4 would definitely distort
the soundfield.

Minor differences in the gain should only shift the shape of the
apparent image slightly, just as they only make slight shifts in the
left/right balance in stereo. One could consider that a error to worry
about, but I'm certain only you will know the balance of the original site.

I can see if your balance was way off it would be a problem in surround,
just as it would in stereo. But I don't see how surround is any more
sensitive to that. I'd think that the level meters would be a good
enough indication. Even then you have to watch them for a while as each
channel is doing it's own thing.

I suggested the MP-2 to add as it's the same company. The character of
the sound off the preamps should match the 744's pre's fairly well. Or
at least I'm assuming the 744 will have similar pre's.

I suppose with 4 channels a master volume control would be nice. But the
problem is going to be fairly universal unless you get into a mixing
board with ganged controls.

> One thing I dislike about the MP-2 is that the volume controls are
> continuous, so it is difficult to get them adjusted to the same gain,
> especially at night. I would have preferred click stop pots.

I do it partially by ear. Not paying attention to the loud stuff, but
the level of the ambient background for tweaking. And it's not common I
need to do that after setting with the meters. That's only going to work
if you have well matched ears, and good monitor headphones. And I'm not
sure at all how you do that in surround. I guess switch around the
circle in pairs. If I get into surround I'll figure it out.

I'm the opposite, I prefer the variable control. I don't worry about
matching gain numbers, but monitored sound. And a headlamp is the way to
look at the dials at night. In my practice I rarely change the MP2 when
I'm using it, use the Portadisc's meters and setting once getting a
basic balance between the two.

My biggest gripe about the MP2 is that there is not a dim enough setting
for the led's for night. Except turning them off.

Walt

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,
A listening room is not nature."