Re: Beginner M/S mic recs? "Ambient" brand mics?

Subject: Re: Beginner M/S mic recs? "Ambient" brand mics?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 20:42:06 -0400
From: Dave <>

> Basically, I'm looking for a lower cost emulation of Walt's mid-side setu=
ps.
> I want to see what kind of results I can get with my Oktava MC-102 mics a=
nd
> a lower-cost figure-8 mic, before jumping into the deep end with MKHes.
>
> I see that a German company named Ambient makes a small figure-8 mic desi=
gned
> to create a mid-side setup inside a standard zepp.  Has anyone tried this=
 mic?
> What's the street price in US$?  What would be a good lower-cost shotgun=

> to match it?

I looked into the Ambient a while back. Specs too noisy. Otherwise a
interesting idea. Note I run my MS MKH-60/30 inside a standard size
zeppelin, so the Ambient is not necessary to do that.

As far as lower cost shotgun, the ME 66/67 shotguns are very good and
have a excellent track record in nature recording. They cost a whole lot
less than the MKH.

For a inexpensive figure 8, the CAD M179 is very good. I had one pass
through my hands this spring on it's way to Klas. Unfortunately the
weather and what was calling did not cooperate for much testing, but I
did try it M/S and near coincident paired with a MKH-80 and it held up
it's side very well indeed. Handled moisture and temperature changes
fine too. It's looking like the choice for low price figure 8 that's low
noise. You do have to be able to supply 8ma of regular phantom power for it=
.

> Is the Shure VP88 of any use in low-sound ambient recording?  The self-no=
ise
> figures look a little high. Or the A-T 825?

I've not tried a Shure VP88, but by the specs it's going to be too
noisy. It's a pretty old design. I have played with a AT 825 briefly, it
was noisy.

> Any other "beginner" single-point stereo mic solutions I should look at?

You are aiming a bit above most of the beginner mics. There is a fair
gap pricewise between beginner single point stereo MS and next up. Use
care in any choice to verify that it can handle outdoor conditions.
Unfortunately the specs usually don't tell you that.