Re: Amazing pictures from Metafilter

Subject: Re: Amazing pictures from Metafilter
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:45:30 -0000
Welcome Curt. It is great to see another MN recordist.
We have a number of active recordists in MN and WI. Some of which
watch this list.  Part of the reason for our numbers is the quality
of soundscapes this area still has.  It is hard to protect and find
interest in what is already gone.  Of course I am a bit biased.  We
are close to having enough active people to support a formal group
and that may happen in the next few years.  Enjoy and I hope to run
into you soon.

Rich Peet

--- In  Curt Olson <> wrote:
> An interesting thread about animal responses vs. human responses!
The
> brilliant thinker C.S. Lewis discussed this briefly in his little
book
> "The Problem of Pain." He speculates that while animals may
experience
> many of the same physical/chemical sensations humans do, they lack
> sufficient self awareness and sense of time passing to be able to
> conclude "I am in pain," "I have lost my mate," etc. This would
support
> what others have cautioned us here about projecting human emotional
>
> Incidentally, I am new to this list, so I'll introduce myself. I'm
> professional audio engineer/producer located in Minneapolis/St.
Paul,
> Minnesota, USA. My "bread and butter" work is nationally syndicated
> radio programing, speech-based audio projects, music for media and
> studio album production. My interest in nature recording is
primarily
> personal -- to capture and extend some of my outdoor excursions,
> usually on public lands in far northern Minnesota. My outdoor
recording
> rig is a Sony TCD-D7 DAT recorder fed by a pair of Sure Beta 58
> microphones in an ORTF configuration. The Sony's pre-amps are
noisy,
> but I accept that trade-off in the interest of light weight and
> simplicity. Some may be tempted to laugh at my mic selection, but I
> arrived at it after extensive testing with a number of possible
choices
> including AT stereo mics, Crown PZMs, high-end AKG and Neumann
> condensers in various XY, MS, ORTF, spaced and "binaural" arrays.
In