Re: Databasing & cataloguing

Subject: Re: Databasing & cataloguing
From: Geoff Sample <>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 09:56:57 +0100
> Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 23:22:52 -0500
> From: Walter Knapp <>
> Subject: Re: Databasing & cataloguing
>
> From: Geoff Sample <>
>
>> The whole system is in a transitional stage, since the database is not f=
ully
>> developed yet (but working now). And the tape stage will disappear next =
year
>> (which currently provides for first level storage and archiving). I know
>> there are weaknesses in here, but I figure that having all the notes in =
>> database form allows for future flexibility and improving efficiency. It=
's
>> also essential to stop me wasting time by keeping check on just how many
>> versions of the Chaffinch's rain call I've got and their geographic
>> provenance.
>
> This last is the very reason I got a PDA and Filemaker Mobile. In my
> shirt pocket is my database, so when I hear something calling I can
> check if it's new for the area or if I found it in that area years ago.
> Too much stuff to remember, even if I'm pretty good at that sort of
> thing. So, my large database gets selected fields loaded into my Palm
> for such use.

Isn't it one of the essential skills of a naturerecordist? To carry around
in your head a rough database of your whole library. It's just a weakness i=
our human design that there's a cerebral limit :-)

Geoff

Geoff Sample

Wildsong Studios
Northumberland, UK
http://www.wildsong.co.uk

This month's feature on common frogs:
http://www.wildsong.co.uk/monthly_feature.html

'That land is a community is the basic concept of ecology, but that land is
to be loved and respected is an extension of ethics .... We abuse land
because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a
community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.=
'
Aldo Leopold

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:26:25 2005
Message: 10