Rich - You are talking nonsense!!

Subject: Rich - You are talking nonsense!!
From: "Barb Beck" <>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 12:41:23 -0600
You said:

"I lack the formal schooling and
can get myself into trouble fast"

What the heqq does the first part of the sentence have to do with the
second!!!!

I know some highly "trained" biologists who are dealing with the natural
world and so completely ignorant of the natural world around them that it is
pathetic.  I know some who are excellent.  I know some naturalists without
"formal schooling" as you say whose knowledge of the natural world is
excellent and some who spout nonsense. (I should not just be picking on
biologists here.  It happens everywhere.)

I spent some time working with biologists and foresters (I was the computer
geek) patching together models of the habitat of a lot of critters in this
province.  I have met those who think that generating a ton of numbers and
doing statistical analysis is good biological science - never looking for
reasons in their experimental design to explain their amazing
conclusions!!!!   I never saw so much tripe re habitat birds used as from
some of the "statistical" studies of what was significant.  When it flew in
the face of everything we know from field observations about the bird they
still stuck with their data  and their extrapolated straight lines.  We also
found that some of the best local habitat information was in the brains of
some of the very good naturalists regardless of their formal schooling.
They could describe in detail the habitat in which they found their favorite
critters.

You have eyes, ears and a good brain.  Use them wisely.  Question, observe,
study what others have found and draw conclusions.  I have been associated
with universities most of my entire adult life and have letters after my
name that signifies that I have things piled higher and deeper.  If I do not
use my eyes, ears and brain I can be just as foolish as anybody else.

Barb Beck
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada