stereo parabola DIY

Subject: stereo parabola DIY
From: Charles Bragg <>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 15:40:03 -0700
        I have dug out a very old Dan Gibson parabola and want to replace the
mic with a pair of small omni electret condensors. Sten Wahlstrom's paper on
"The Parabolic Reflector as an Acoustical Amplifier" describes a vertical
shield in the reflector with a mic on each side for stereo recording, but he
doesn't discuss materials. I don't really want something thick, because it
would move the mics away from the focal point. Can anyone suggest a good
acoustic isolating material that is thin?
        Also, the better shock mounts seem to use neoprene rubber. Is this a
good choice for DIY? I plan to suspend the mics with heavy rubber bands, but
need isolation between the reflector and the handle and/or tripod mount.

        TIA - Chuck

========
Chuck Bragg, Pacific Palisades, CA
Membership Chair