Re: stereo parabola DIY

Subject: Re: stereo parabola DIY
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 23:00:42 -0000
I am posting to much today and will quiet down again soon. I will
find the wheel again shortly.

IMHO, Mr. Wahlstrom did not do much work with stereo parabolas.

I prefer no barrier at all.  It just is not needed unless you want to
screw up the freq curve more.

For the best setup, put two omni's spaced and have a way to change
the spacing distance between the two.  This is because with this
approach you need to control the size of the hole in the middle.

Rich

--- In  Charles Bragg
<> wrote:
>         I have dug out a very old Dan Gibson parabola and want to
replace the mic with a pair of small omni electret condensors. Sten
Wahlstrom's paper on "The Parabolic Reflector as an Acoustical
Amplifier" describes a vertical shield in the reflector with a mic on
each side for stereo recording, but he doesn't discuss materials. I
don't really want something thick, because it would move the mics
away from the focal point. Can anyone suggest a good acoustic
isolating material that is thin?
>         Also, the better shock mounts seem to use neoprene rubber.
Is this a good choice for DIY? I plan to suspend the mics with heavy
rubber bands, but need isolation between the reflector and the handle
and/or tripod mount.