Re: Microphones

Subject: Re: Microphones
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 23:35:26 -0500
At 5:44 PM -0700 4/24/04, Dan Dugan wrote:
>  >  >Following some of you buddies' advices, I
>am tempted to choose between these
>>>two stereo mics for using with a Sony MD and a homemade parabola, chiefl=
>>>for bird recordings. Could someone help me on the decision, in terms of
>>>features and cost/benefit for each option? It seems obvious that the lat=
ter
>>>model is better, but at a great expense... So...
>>>
>>>Sony ECM-MS907 (average price =3D 82.00 USD)
>>   >Sony ECM-MS957 (average price =3D 230.00 USD)
>
>Neither is suitable for use in a parabola. I second the advice to get
>a pair of little omnis. Shure WR183s or Countryman EMW(F) lavs are my
>favorites because their high sensitivity gets above preamp noise.
>
>-Dan Dugan

Hi Dan-
I remember the 183's from the "French Gulch Hotel
Frogs" soundfile you posted a while back. Do you
have your 183's wired for p-i-p with your MT-90?
I'm curious, because one can buy the 183
cartridges for $38 each; phantom powered @~ $90
ea.  If I'm reading the specs right, the
sensitivity of the 183 is in the same range as
the Panasonic wm61a cap but the noise of the 183
appears to be consideraby lower.  Panasonic WM61a
Capsule: Sensitivity -35dB (+/- 4 dB)  0dB =3D
1V/pa 1kHz; Signal to Noise =3D More than 62dB.
Shure WL-183: Sensitivity =AD40.0 dBV/Pa (1 Pa =3D 94
dB SPL) ;Output Noise (A=ADweighted): 22.5 dB SPL.
Rob D.