Re: UPGRADE OF ME 67

Subject: Re: UPGRADE OF ME 67
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 12:25:46 -0500

> During my last trip to Ecuador we camped out at about 1700m in wet
> subtropical forest. After a particular rainy morning my ME 67 seemed to h=
ave problems:
> created background noise and low volume. This happened to me twice before=
 in
> similar conditions..(thus only 3 times out of hundreds of days recording)=
.
> However, it is a bit worrisome and I understand that the MKH series are n=
ot plagued
> with this problem. Can someone tell me, please, what the MKH microphone t=
hat
> is similar to the ME 67 is called. I guess there is a counterpart also to=
 the
> ME 66? MKH 80, MKH 406, 805???
>
> Thanks!

The equivalent to a ME 67 is the MKH-70 long shotgun.

The equivalent to a ME 66 is the MKH-60 short shotgun.

The equivalent MKH in each case is a bit shorter than it's ME match.

Also the MKH has smoother polar patterns, lower self noise.

MKH has less problems as it's RF mic electronics does not require very
high voltage on the capsule. I have never had any of my MKH notice the
humidity, and I've recorded with dew condensing on them. I don't push my
luck and hang them out in the pouring rain, however. In light rain the
windscreen furry will allow some recording.

You might want to have Sennheiser look at your ME just in case it's not
up to snuff.

The MKH 80 is a excellent multipattern mic, not a shotgun. I've a pair
of them that I normally use as M/S.

The MKH 406, 805 are older generation mics and no longer sold, though
they can be found on Ebay. Their characteristics are not as good as
current stuff. The MKH 416 short shotgun is still sold because the
movie/TV folks can't be got off it, but it's polar patterns are not as
good as the two above, nor it's self noise. The long shotgun equivalent
to the MKH 416 is the MKH 816. More MKH 816's on ebay are T powered than
are phantom powered. Make sure and check if considering one, it's not
just different powering, but different connectors.

That's actually something to be aware of. All current MKH require
phantom power, no internal battery option as you have with ME.