Re: UPGRADE OF ME 67

Subject: Re: UPGRADE OF ME 67
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 20:04:40 +0100
As far as I know, Tuchel is now Amphenol, US.

Perhaps they also make the old contacts.

Klas.

At 18:15 2004-03-02, you wrote:
> >  From: grantfinlay <> Subject: Re: UPGRADE OF ME 67
> >

> > Just thought i'd point out that ONLY the early versions of the mkh816
> > have a different connector, it's called a "tuchel" it's a sort of screw
> > locking early xlr, has nothing to do with being "T" powered, but is
> > just an old school connector.
> >   (you can get "T" powered 12 volt mics with either a 3 pin xlr or the
> > tuchel connector, depends on the age)
> > You can get ph48 to T power converters from any reputable location
> > sound supplier, normally they are enclosed in a xlr barrel connector
> > and are around $25usd. So don't be put off by a T powered mike, also
> > the tuchel connectors can also be bought from most of the same
> > retailers.
> >
> > Would just like to clarify that  "T power" is a different way of
> > powering the mic, switching your mixer to 12v phantom will not work!
>
>In the US tuchel connectors are not that common. They can be found, but
>not everywhere. My MKH-110's use them. Luckily one came with each mic.
>
>On ebay, T powered, tuchel equipped mkh816's are more likely to be
>offered than phantom powered ones. The phantom powered ones will cost a
>little more, but not enough difference to make up for needing that power
>supply. Portable recorders and pre's don't have T power, but at least
>some have phantom power. And, if the tuchel connector is not provided,
>that's a extra cost, generally more than the xlr.
>
>I've not seen any T power MKH-816's that were not also tuchel, or any
>tuchel MKH-816's that were not T power. So, though it's two issues, they
>seem to go together for this mic.
>
>It's not that they don't work, it's that it's a convenience and cost
>issue. A extra powering system to maintain, extra cable connectors.
>Extra clutter in the field.
>
>Walt
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."
>Klas Strandberg
>Yahoo! Groups Links

Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,
S-748 96 Tobo, Sweden.
Phone & fax int + 295 310 01
email:

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:26:55 2005
Message: 4
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:54:32 EST
Subject: Re: Headphones: to seal or not to seal?

 writes:

> I'd not be so sure. At least around here. My wife can hardly listen to
> one conversation, let alone multiples. Around here I'm the one that can
> listen to multiple conversations, often while doing multiple other
> things. My father is the same way, while my mother hardly notices one
> conversation.

I have to agree with Walt on this one. My wife has a hard time listening on
the phone and carrying on a conversion with someone in the room. It is easy for
me. I don't think it is a girl-boy thing.

Food for thought!

John
John V. Moore Nature Recordings

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:26:55 2005