Re: Sony MZN1 Minidisc Recorder

Subject: Re: Sony MZN1 Minidisc Recorder
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 02:36:29 -0000
JVMNATREC wrote:
>  [is] Sony MZN1 worth fixing for $90.

I'd say it is, providing you can afford to be without a recorder while
the machine is being repaired.

Another option is to purchase two used Sony MZ-R50 recorders from EBay
for about $100.  The R50 is well regarded for its rugged construction.
 It's not as small as the N1, but that's an advantage if you have
adult-size fingers.

The N1 was introduced two years ago. Refurbished N1 models with Sony
90 day warranty sell for about $225.

The Sony MZ-N10 replaced the N1 about a year ago.  New N10s can still
be found for $240-$280 online. (I search using froogle.google.com.)
The N10 is less desirable than the N1 because its LiON battery is not
replaceable in the field. You have to use the external AA battery pack.

If you're thinking about purchasing a new minidisc machine, I'd wait
another four weeks for the introduction of Sony's new Hi-MD machines.

--oryoki