no sound, but id from feather photo

Subject: no sound, but id from feather photo
From: Mike Feldman <>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 11:47:28 -0600
I wish I had a new recording to post, but it's been
very windy here in the vernal midwest.  I have heard
the screech owls that got me onto this list -- two
or three nights a week -- around the neighborhood.
And neighbor who've heard my recording say "Yea, I've
heard that and wondered what it was".

This morning when I went out the back door with dog
on leash and camera in hand, and as I opened the door
there was a swirl of feathers under the storm door.
It looked like the remains of a fight or kill.

I snapped a shot of the pile and put it on my web site:

http://www.advancenet.net/~feldman/Feathers_by_back_door.jpg

My initial impression is that this is a blue jay,
but the feeder close to our back door usually
has doves and assorted smaller sparrow/finch-like
birds.  I'm new to the identification arts and sciences,
but I was impressed by the skills and resources of this
list at id'ing from sound recordings.  Is there a similar
catalog or bunch of fanatics for id by feathers?

-- Mike