Re: New Sennheiser mic and frogs

Subject: Re: New Sennheiser mic and frogs
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:11:52 -0500
> I guess that would be true, the polar pattern of the 40 is wider, but
> with the back lobe of the 50 combined with the pickup of the 30 it would
> appear wider. What you say makes sense. I should investigate M/S with
> the 80 pair with the mid set on hypercardioid and see what it's like.

Damn it, I've been thinking that the 50 also had a wider frontal pick-up
than the 40; I've just been and checked the graph plot (first time in years=
)
and you're right. And yet it has sounded ... if not wider, at least 'bigger=
'
in combination with the 30. I'm going to have to investigate these 2 set-up=
again. In theory the 30/40 combination should be the better choice in
certain situations where I've been using the 30/50. Spain at the end of
April should be ideal for some comparisons: soundscapes of the dry
rocky/sandy canyons of inland Valencia.

> I've done that pattern, but only briefly. In describing width of a M/S
> its a little tricky as the side mic provides a wide cover to the side. I
> more look at what the mid is providing, when it's contribution falls off
> I declare that the coverage even though the side continues on.

Yes, agreed. Though I've never fully grasped what happens to sound picked u=
ONLY by the side mic. As I understand it, it's the sound to left and right
picked up by BOTH mid and side mics that provides the exclusively L or R
signal, when matrixed. The maths looks so simple, but I've always struggled
to interpret it.

> The SASS has a even field that wide, no dead areas I've noticed. In
> fact, hand held it's hard to find enough dead area in the back to
> breathe in. The mic sensitivity is enough to pick up my breathing.

For walk-about stereo I use a short (5m) cable to avoid this. Put the mics
down on their small tripod, then just back off slightly to reduce shuffling=
,
breathing and machine noise.

> All of this is why I cringe slightly when someone asks me to suggest a
> mic and then runs out and buys it. Each of us has likes and dislikes.
> All I can do is describe what I like and try to relate that to what I
> think they like.

Best, Geoff.

Geoff Sample

Wildsong Studios
Northumberland, UK
http://www.wildsong.co.uk

This month's feature on common frogs:
http://www.wildsong.co.uk/monthly_feature.html

'Music is everywhere if only we had the ears to listen'. John Cage