Re: bio-sonics, bio-phones, environmental acoustics...

Subject: Re: bio-sonics, bio-phones, environmental acoustics...
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 07:36:33 -0800
Two general sources, if you don't already have them, Gianni, are by
the Canadian author/composer, R. Murray Schafer. They include his
seminal works titled Handbook for Acoustic Ecoloby and Tuning of the
World. He's the fellow who coined the word "soundscape" during his
research while a professor at Simon Fraser Univ. in Vancouver, BC, in
the late 1970s. He, with his colleague, Barry Truax, formed the World
Forum for Acoustic Ecology, as the team that conducted the first
soundscape study. While not specifically about bioacoustics, these
texts provide the framework and basis for many of the perspectives in
the field that have gone beyond the older deconstruction models of
the last century.

You might also check with Professor Stuart Gage, who heads the
Envirosonics program at Michigan State University, and with whom we
teamed to do our recent National Park Service study on biophony and
its potential as an indicator of habitat dynamics and health, among
other things. You can find out more about his related efforts through
the following link, http://www.cevl.msu.edu, or by contacting him
directly at  He is currently concluding a program
related to the Muskegon Watershed in the state of Michigan that
features a number of bioacoustic components.

All best,
Bernie Krause, PhD

Wild Sanctuary, Inc.
P. O. Box 536