Re: Introduction; Mystery Sound

Subject: Re: Introduction; Mystery Sound
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:27:58 -0500
From: "Jerry Berrier" <>

> Greetings,
>
> It has been a year or two since I was on this list.
> On my web site I've recorded a number of bird and animal sounds.  They're
> all MP3 files; I hope that's considered acceptable.
>
> I have a mystery mp3 file at
> http://www.townisp.com/~jerry.berrier/mystery.mp3
> I think it's squirrels, but I'm really not sure.  I recorded it with my Bird
> Bug" mike which is permanently mounted on the back of my house and wired
> into my sound card through a mixer.

Does not sound like any squirrels I've heard.

A couple nights ago I came in with a recording to transfer and edit. I
ran it into my mac via the usual digital route, and monitored it in the
usual way from the computer. All fine and well, the waveform showing on
Peak's monitor looked right too. But when I played back the recorded
file all I got was a sort of new age set of musical tones. I switched to
SparkXL and tried again, same musical tones. Finally, I shut everything
down and booted it all back up. Now it recorded correctly, something
somewhere in the computer was making a error.

This sound does not sound the same, but does not sound exactly natural.
But maybe derived from a natural call. Have you tested the system that
it's recording properly? Otherwise I have no idea.