Re: Digest Number 1268

Subject: Re: Digest Number 1268
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:39:33 -0500
>    From: Jeremiah Moore <>
> Subject: Rycote's Microphone Data database now online
>
> Rycote's excellent microphone data database, previously only
> available by buying it, seems to have gone online for free.  They do
> require registration.
>
> http://www.microphone-data.com/
>
> This is an excellent resource because the specs for different mics
> are at last available using the same measurements, as opposed to
> comparing two mics from different manufacturers using measurement
> systems which differ and/or emphasize the flattering characteristics.
>
> Maybe this could shed some light on the current sennheiser ME-MKH
> questions, though they still don't publish specs on spectra of
> self-noise.
>
> Apologies if this was already posted, but I hadn't seen it.  And
> apologies for cross posting.

I posted almost word for word the same announcement a week or two back.
No one responded then, so probably good for someone else to remind folks.

I'm not so sure that they are doing testing, however. On the ME67 they
have the odd figures for sensitivity and self noise. Which makes me
think they are just copying manufacturers specs.

It is nice that they have gotten the polar graphs more readable. And
having one location to go to helps.

Don't neglect the library section. A bunch of interesting articles.