ocean recordings

Subject: ocean recordings
From: "onthego4002" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:31:17 -0000
Hello,  I am quite new to this group.  Therefore, I would like very
much to convey how much I have no desire to offend or upset anyone
by what I am about to ask.  I wouldn't think it would be offensive,
but if you have been involved with online forums or groups, you will
have already seen people unintentionally (it seemed to me- I wasn't
the one that did it, but I watched this often) ask a question or
make a statement or a request that brought down the wrath of a whole
segment of a community.  So, after wasting your bandwidth with that
preamble, here goes.

   I am hoping to be able to learn to make my own recordings.  But
at the moment, I am not in place where I could record what I am
trying to get.

   I am interested in recordings of waves coming up onto a beach.=20
The waves I want are slow, almost languid yet powerful,full,
rolling, delicious.  I am told and it seems to me from the research
I have been doing that I must be talking about waves from a place
like Hawaii.  Long full waves, never harsh, rich, long break,
satisfying "crunch" at the ending part, that full, almost fizziness
after the crunch, followed by the same full rich cycle all over
again.  No birds. Sorry, but for what I need, as much as I may enjoy
them normally, no birds.  Which may mean that this was done at night
as far as I can tell. If you love birds, and this makes you think
that I don't, you are mistaken and I hope that this isn't offensive.
If you are smiling at my concern about being offensive, that is
great.  It means you are smiling.  If not, please, I love birds, I
wouldn't hurt a bird.  Seriously, maybe I might try to find a way to
humanely relocate pigeons if they were causing a constant noise
above a recording studio (yes, this happens), but I love the birds
in nature as much or more as anyone else.

   But, for what I need, the birds are not possible.  I could add a
few later, but that must be an option, not an unremovable element.

   Now,I hope that what I have described about the waves is
conveying something.  I want it to sound like paradise. Smooth,
deeply relaxing, evocative of something that is the opposite of city
noise.  A deep, relaxing break, a vacation.

    After listening to every ocean recording I have been able to
find - I really mean that, online, soundFX libraries, nature CD's,
relaxation with music - that is the most disturbing because
occasionally that sounds OK but - the music is there - I have become
a connoisseur of waves.  I actually have.  I can discuss the various
components of the cycle in great detail.  I know what I am trying to
find.

   I am trying to make a simple relaxation program.  It began for
me, then my friends, now I am beginning to try to market it.  I am
not going to lie to anyone here.  I want to try to purchase the
rights to use it on a program.  A very small attempt at a helpful
commercial product.  I am one person, I have a very limited budget.=20
I have to say that up front.  But, I would use it in an extremely
tasteful way and I think that you would be happy with what came of
it.

   All the oceans I have heard but one or two are loud, crazed, the
ones I could find of Cape Cod - sounds unfortunately like jets
preparing for takeoff in the recordings I have gotten.  Or sloshing,
breaking on rocks, and on and on.  Wild, unfocused, surging, angry
stormlike or ploppy, sloshy, uneven small waves, or slurping
(actually that was the best so far but it isn't right)slow draining
sounds from long inclined pebbled beaches (I'm assuming) and on and
on.

   I am hoping that someone among you knows what I am talking about
and has some tape - high resolution digital - that is just there and
this isn't a crazy imposition or proposal.  I actually love these
sounds and I would consider it a privilege to interact with someone
who works at documenting or "capturing" these sounds.  I was drawn
to what I am trying to do because I love these sounds in
particular.  However, I am not in such a location.  If I were in
Hawaii or somewhere that would allow me to go each day or evening to
this beach and learn to record it until I got it just right - I'm
there - I'd make a real point of it and I would just love to be able
to do it.

    Again, I couldn't pay a lot. I most likely won't make a lot, but
I want to create it anyway.   So, if you have such recordings, know
someone who is into this, know a way I could get in touch with
anything or anyone who could help directly or indirectly, please let
me know.  Please email me directly - you would be doing me a real
favor.

   I appreciate the opportunity to speak directly with people who
are involved directly with what you are doing.  Trying to talk to
companies that sell the sound has been quite unsatisfying. Thanks
again for letting me ask this here.  Bruno