Re: bass rolloff question

Subject: Re: bass rolloff question
From: Jeremiah Moore <>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:37:51 -0800
one scenario where highpass filtering can work well is recording
dialogue, in which you're only interested in the frequency range of
the voice.  When using a handheld mic, low rolloff reduces certain
types of handling noise as well.

-jeremiah

>--- jessehammons <> wrote:
>>  My question: what are the disadvantages of filtering out unwanted
>>  bass
>>  frequencies in post-production? (err, post field recording) I would
>>  prefer to do this in post, because if I filter them out, I won't be
>>  able to play them on my friend's Udder Thump 2000:
>>  http://ontology.com/canton/projects/udderthump2000/index.html
>>
>>  Now wouldn't that be a shame?
>>
>>  Seriously, do low frequency sounds somehow introduce noise or other
>>  problems into the recording chain?
>>
>>  Thanks,
>>  -Jesse
>
>The only drawback to post production filtering of low freq sounds would
>be if the low sounds caused the recording to be overdriven (distort the
>preamp, or A/D, or analog media), or if the low sounds were so lound
>compared to the hi freq sounds that you recored way too low.
>I prefer post production filtering myself.  You can't undo recorded
>filters post production.
>bret

>Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing online.
>http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."
>Klas Strandberg
>Yahoo! Groups Links

jeremiah lyman moore | san francisco | sound+media |
http://babyjane.com/timeweb/
http://northstation.net/ organic, mechanized, organized sound