CD-R lifetimes (again)

Subject: CD-R lifetimes (again)
From: Steve Pelikan <>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 09:30:56 -0500
Friends:

Once upon a time in the phrase  "Limited Lifetime Warranty" the adjective
"limited" applied to what was covered by the warranty.

On the latest stack of CD-R's I bought I now read that the "limited"
applies to lifetime, not what is covered. The manufacturer
seems to warranty that the product has a limited life? (joke) 5 years and
not a second more!

Could someone who's been paying attention fill me/us in on the current
status for CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+RW (etc. etc.) lifetimes?

I've only has one CD-R become unreadable in some 5 years and 100  (or so)
CD's. But I wouldn't look forward to the task of copying all those suckers
twice a decade.

This topic would be a good one for a FAQ' file but I gather it'd need
frequent updating as formulations, manufacturing technologies, and formats
come and go.

Thanks!

Steve P