Re: Playback ethics

Subject: Re: Playback ethics
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:09:30 -0000
I am one who dislikes the use of playback due to the abuse in my
local area for viewing rare birds that are sought after by thousands
of people in just a few very specific locations.  These birds are
only harrased during prime breeding season.  I can make little
headway in my local area so I expect you to have less luck.

For an article from one of our list members from Brazil, read:

http://birds.cornell.edu/lns/recordingnature/html/TheRecorder/j_minns_
3_oct_10.pdf

If you must and can have rules, keep it out of hearing range of your
facilities as no one wishes to travel to hear someones recordings
while in the field.

Also, if you can limit its use to playback of calls recorded only
from your specific area that would be best.  You don't see it
published much but why do you want to train your local birds the
dilect of birds of the same species that they never will be in
contact with. Protection of dialect can only be achieved if birds
learn their songs from there normal interaction in their neighborhood.

Rich

--- In  "Daniel De Granville -
Fotograma" <> wrote:
> Hi, Oryoki and everyone else.
>
> I would like to know a bit more about these restrictions regarding
field
> playback to attract birds. I do know the basics, but is there
an "ethics
> code" or something like that, specific for field playbacks?
>
> My specific interest on the subject was brought up by the fact
that, within
> a couple of weeks, I will be moving to the Pantanal of Brazil to
run an
> ecotourism facility. We expect to receive groups of birders there.
I have