RE: Bat sounds.

Subject: RE: Bat sounds.
From: "Graham M Smith" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:09:58 -0000
Walt,

> A 5g bat putting out 120dB is nothing, think about the little grass
> frog, about 3/8" long full grown, weighing much, much less, he puts out
> about 120 dB at around 7.5khz. Not just a single burst, but a whole
> structured call repeated at frequent intervals. Even with my poor high
> frequency hearing I can hear those while driving by them at 40-50mph.

All fascinating stuff, isn't it, and I knew I was leaving myself open to a
"my species group is more amazing than your species group" reply, the minut=
I posted it :-)

Although I tend to wax lyrical about bats, all species groups that I have
looked at more than superficially have had some absolutely amazing aspects
to their biology.

Graham