Re: Bat sounds.

Subject: Re: Bat sounds.
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:57:35 +0100 (MET)
Most bats also produce so called 'social calls' for communicating among eac=
other. These call types are different from the echolocation calls. They are
often lower in frequency (because lower frequencies are less attenuated at
long distances as higher-pitched calls) and have a more complex structure (=
more
intense harmonics and more complex frequency modulation patterns).
See http://www.avisoft-saslab.com/sounds/pipistr3.gif for an example of bot=
echolocation calls and social calls of a Common pipistrelle bat (the call a=
t=3D0.14 is a social call).

For more example see also
http://www.avisoft-saslab.com/sounds/sounds.htm#bats

As far as I know, the information that these social calls transmit is mainl=
encoded in the specific  pattern of the single calls and less (or not) in
the repetition rate.

The varying pulse rate and duration's of the echolocation calls is mainly
determined by the physical limitations. As long as the bat is far away from=
target, the sound bursts have a relatively long traveling time. Bats usuall=
prevent to emit a new echolocation call as long as they have not received t=
he
echoes of the previously emitted call. So they have to wait for at least th=
time the sound requires to travel from the bat to the target and back to th=
bat. Therefore they can increase the pulse rate (and decrease the duration =
of
the single pulses) while approaching an insect.

Regards,
Raimund

--
+++ GMX - die erste Adresse f=FCr Mail, Message, More +++
Bis 31.1.: TopMail + Digicam f=FCr nur 29 EUR http://www.gmx.net/topmail