RE: Mic Question - interesting specs

Subject: RE: Mic Question - interesting specs
From: "Bruce Wilson" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:20:46 -0700
A month ago I bought a Marantz PDM670 from Bayview Pro Audio
(bayviewproaudio.com) and got two Cascade XT1 studio instrument mics tossed
in for free.

These are, I think, very similar to the CAD 177 Mics you mention, and are
probably made at the same Chinese factory (along with Studio Projects, ADK,
MXL and maybe Blue or Groove Tubes; micguys.com has a nice selection of
these cheap mics). No one makes an end-on supercard or a single diaphragm
figure 8, so I guess MS is out with these cheap mics.

These mics typically come with a hard case (cheap, but padded) and a shock
mount or foam windscreen, or both. Since they are made by a
one-size-fits-all method, if your mic doesn't come with a switch you want
you may find it inside the mic anyway (for example, my XT1's come with no
settable switches, but inside there is a bass rolloff filter switch anyway,
you just screw off the bottom of the mic, slide the tube down, and set it).

Please keep in mind that I am very new to recording, and have not listened
to any recording equipment other than these mics into the Marantz:

Sonically they are very good. They handle loud sounds well (I have recoded =
passing train with little or no distortion except when the horn blew closer
than 200 feet from the mics). I mounted them in ORTF on a stereo bar, and
got some wire and thin cloth to make a large windscreen over the entire
assembly, but find I don't need it if the wind is below about 5 mph.

At low volumes (and high recording levels) I get a lot of noise. To give yo=
an idea, as I know no numbers to express this, when I turn up high enough t=
hear a faint whisper at 30 feet, the noise is about equal to the whisper.
It's a little better if I cut the treble on the recorder.

The 48v phantom power sucks the recorders internal batteries (8 AA) down in
a couple hours so I use sealed lead acid now and don't worry about running
out during a day of recording.

Carrying mics on a stereo bar and the windscreen is a pain. Not for portabl=
use.

As best I can make out the history of these sorts of mics, Studio Projects
made a mic that got a lot of very good press in the amateur studio realm,
and was favorable compared to Neumann mics. I suppose others found the
company that made SP's mics, and ordered their own designs. Internally they
are largely the same mic, just different options. I don't know how similar
the capsules are between brands or models, but the stats are largely
identical.

Hope this helps. If you'd like to know something more specific, please ask.
I'm happy to return the gift of knowledge I've received here.

--
Dr. Bruce Wilson
Department of Chemistry

1-801-863-7138