Re: capacity of magnetic media

Subject: Re: capacity of magnetic media
From: Jeremiah Moore <>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:46:57 -0800
True enough about the unknown longterm reliability of optical media.
I use it for project archives, and have had good luck so far (knock
on wood).  I can certainly imagine putting hard disks in the vault
too, and imagine I'll go this way one of these days.  Wiebetech makes
a firewire/usb2 adapter for raw ATA drive mechanisms which seems
perfect for the task:
http://www.wiebetech.com/products.html#drivedockproducts

My sound library originates on DAT and MD, with originals filed away;
the working library is on firewire drives with a redundant backup.
146GB as of today.  It's selectively backed up to DVD-R as well.

In the long term, support does tend to be a fiction.  Products cease
to be produced; companies disappear.  This is why I use commodity
formats - it's more likely there will be some kind of support down
the road.  (Everybody better copy your stuff off of those ultra-cool
3.5" floppy disks now!)

Sometimes it seems like technology in general is a carefully
constructed fiction... the closer you get to the metal, the more you
realize that it's amazing this stuff works at all.

-j