Re: lossless recording

Subject: Re: lossless recording
From: Bret <>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:55:23 -0800 (PST)
Oryoki,
Very interesting.  The Zaxcom site says
"The final audio files are bit for bit exactly the same as the original
recorded audio."

Bit for bit would be lossless.  This is obviously proprietary
technology and will benefit the Zaxcom customers.  Other manufacturers
will either have to develop or licence this type of technology for a
broader audience of recording customers to be able to get more storage
for their money.

I have used very good sounding compression schemes, like Rolands
"Roland Digital Audio Coding" (R-DAC), which they claim to be lossless,
but I don't think they have ever claimed or demonstrated that it is
always bit for bit identical to the original.  I have thought the term
lossless was thrown around loosly, using only subject judgement as the
'proof'.  I see that at least Zaxcom is defining the term.  That is
good.  It can be measured and tested emperically and objectively.
thanks,
bret