Re: Re: lossless recording

Subject: Re: Re: lossless recording
From: "Wayne Brissette" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:07:14 -0600
Bret  on 12/17/03 at 20:55 stated:

>I have used very good sounding compression schemes, like Rolands
>"Roland Digital Audio Coding" (R-DAC), which they claim to be lossless,
>but I don't think they have ever claimed or demonstrated that it is
>always bit for bit identical to the original.

There are several lossless compression schemes that are very common on
the internet .shn (or shorten) and .flac (flac). The advantage of the
.flac over .shn files is that flac can compress 24-bit files whereas .shn
can only use 16-bit files. Both of these non-proprietary formats are bit
for bit compression schemes. Emagic use to make a product for the Mac
that did bit for bit compression as well (Zap I believe was the name of
the product), but it didn't really take off. For people archiving sounds,
I would think that a non-compression format would be better. ATRAC used
on MiniDiscs is very good as is the later versions of MP3, and the MPEG
AAC format, however you are tossing away data with all of these formats
and while I do trust the DSP engineers who came up with the algorithms
that make up these formats, I still leery of them or my material I want
to archive.

Wayne

--
sans la Musique la Vie serait une Erreur
Without music, life would be a serious mistake.

Live DAT & Music Page: http://homepage.mac.com/wayneb/
Wayne's Music Calendar: http://ical.mac.com/wayneb/Music
PowerMail AppleScript Archives: http://homepage.mac.com/wayneb/powermail.html

Music Currently playing: