Re: Field recordings -> Environmental soundscape

Subject: Re: Field recordings -> Environmental soundscape
From: Bret <>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:07:58 -0800 (PST)
--- Wild Sanctuary <> wrote:
> The human mind filters noise (a form of
> denial) in the environments we typically create in order to retain
> the necessary informative signal. The energy our brain uses to create
> and apply this filter is one source of our constant irritation,
> stress, and disorientation.

Bernie,
The above 2 sentences intrigued me, whether to filter noise in our
minds is to deny the noise, because as you say it filters in order to
retain the informative signal.  I can see that we filter noise so that
we can ignore the noise, so does ignore mean to deny?  I normally
ignore my heartbeat in my chest, am I denying it? I have never thought
of it that way.  To filter is to increase our awareness on a particular
portion of our experience, decrease our awareness on other portions,
because our mind cannot take in everything, all the time (or can it?).
Maybe I don't understand how you mean deny.

If the energy our brain uses to create and apply this filter is a
source of irritation, stress, and disorientation, then if we do not
create and apply this filter are we more free of irritation, stress and
disorientation?  This sounds like a spiritual experience, in which we
take in, accept everything, without judgement.  Is this what you are
saying?
I can see that the desire for the noise to be not present, and the
inability to fully filter the noise is an irritant.  But, if we can
filter to the degree that we desire, is the filter still an irritant?

thanks,
bret