Re: Stereo like sound

Subject: Re: Stereo like sound
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 00:26:20 -0500
From: Dan Dugan <>

> Jim Morgan wrote:
>

>>I have just finished a trial CD for the Buenos Aires National
>>Wildlife Refuge
>>http://southwest.fws.gov/refuges/arizona/buenosaires/ located in SE
>>Arizona (USA) that contains a variety of their local birds
>>vocalizing in what sounds like stereo.
>>
>>This was done by pasting a series of monaural recordings into dual
>>channel recording, using Cool Edit 2000. The individual recordings
>>are easily edited providing almost unlimited flexibility. It works
>>like a charm, don't know why I never thought of doing this before,
>>it's so simple.
>

> Your first sound design! Next, an ambience bed under the individual speci=
es...

> -Dan Dugan

Not to put too fine a point on it, but down this route lies the Pacific
Treefrog's worldwide distribution in habitats it would never use and so
on. Use a great deal of care to at least mix sounds from the same type
of environment if you wish to move away from honest recordings of
individual locations. Otherwise such recordings can be very misleading,
you have to keep track of all background sounds and calls too in that
"ambiance bed". Not just your main call tracks.

And for those mac users who wish to play, SoundHack has a binaural
processor for making binaural stuff from mono recordings. Something that
came out of NASA research. The regular editors have stuff too, but the
one in SoundHack has sounded pretty good when I played with it.