[OT?] eBay recurrance...

Subject: [OT?] eBay recurrance...
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 16:01:13 -0800 (PST)
Hey folks,

Sorry for the off-topic posting, but there's a mystery I'm wondering if
any of you can shed light on.

I set up a 'favorite search' on eBay for "sennheiser mkh". As a result,
I've been watching that search's results evolve over the last year or so.

I've noticed that there are a number of mics that appear in auctions which
end, and then reappear a week or two later, over and over.  In particular
there are two mics up now, an MKH-80 and an MKH-40, that have been listed
several times -- many times in the case of the latter.

I know sometimes the reserve isn't met, but I'm pretty sure at least in
these cases it has.  Are there really that many flakey buyers out there?
Aren't the sellers obligated to report if some damage (etc) comes to light
that makes the buyers legitimately back out?

So... any experience with why this is happening...? It's definitely made
me leery of bidding on those particular mics (though the description
hasn't changed for either, and both sellers appear to be well-ranked...).
Which is a shame since with the 80 and 40 I could get an M/S pair for <
$1500 even at the 'buy it now' price.

(I realize I could just ask the sellers, and I ultimately will, but I
didn't want to be rude or a nuisance...)

 best,
 aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org