Re: [OT?] eBay recurrance...

Subject: Re: [OT?] eBay recurrance...
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 21:31:50 -0500
From: "Rich Peet" <>

>>From my observation buying pro-audio died about 4 months ago on e-bay.
> I think Walt hit the buyers market right.

I spent several years at it, and some time before that just studying the
market. It went up and down many times during all that period. In
general with MKH mics it's just an occasional good period, and that may
be only one or two models.

Worst was when there would be a flurry of good buys. And even a really
good buy costs money. I sometimes had to dig fast to come up with money.
Or just pass some by. But I'm glad I did keep at it.

> I will not bid just to be the highest bidder in the country.  I look
> for mistakes and low price.  If the seller demands 80 cents on the
> dollar for a non mint mic then he can sit and pay fees.  I do not
> know this particular seller you speak of.  But I know I am not seeing
> much raw meat on e-bay lately in audio.

I agree, it's been pretty dry for some time. Dull plodding just to wade
through the searches.

I figure the price I'll pay based on checking the used market, checking
previous ebay auctions of the item and so on. I'm always amazed to see
some used item go for more than I could buy it brand new online from a
regular supplier with a full warranty. It's clear a lot of folks don't
do their homework. As a rule of thumb I try for at least half new price
or better if there is no good baseline in the used market. This is not
possible for some popular models, but less known ones can go for a lot
less. And, of course, I start the process by deciding just which mics I
want. Dig through the specs, listen to folks talk about them, etc. At
the high price end know what you are getting.

Do your homework if you want to play on ebay.