Re: Flying squirrels and Saw-whet owl whine

Subject: Re: Flying squirrels and Saw-whet owl whine
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 22:10:51 -0000
Good to see you post here again John.
I have never heard a saw-whet screem so am not an authority.  Maybe
another one for Barb as I suspect she has a bunch of the little guys.
A flying squirrel would be a lifer for me yet I understand that my
neighboring town has a few that I have not found.

What I would expect from a saw-whet even in a screem would to be more
resonant.  The freq is not far off and I agree that what this is
could not be very big. Certainly not a Long-eared.

My only reference is the saw-whet mating call. I put yours next to
mine as a very very small download at:
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/saw-whet.mp3

I will remove my file shortly and right away if I took to much of a
liberty.

Rich Peet

--- In  "feith" <> wrote:
> Greetings-
> I've posted some night sounds from 2 nights ago at:
> http://www.caculo.com/sounds.htm
> (recorded at Devil's Lake State Park, Southern Wisconsin)
> I'm not sure about the Saw-whet owl ID, although it's close to the
> whiny-scream call found in the Stokes CD. Also, at first I thought
> the squeaky sounds gliding through very high treetops were coming
> from bats, but a bat-expert (batter/batologist?) said it was
> unlikely. I had naively compared the sounds to ones found in
> www.batcalls.com and later realized those are all pitch shifted.
The