Re: Blue Grouse hooting

Subject: Re: Blue Grouse hooting
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 19:14:17 -0500
From: "Rich Peet" <>

> Software resampling worked great and confirmed Bernie as dead on the
> money estimating 28.5 cycles.

I thought that might do the trick. Much safer than depending on the
resolution of a sonogram at those low frequencies.

> Good luck on the home project I am deep into trying to find repair
> materials for a 150 year old house.  People tell me my idea of custom
> is not the manufacturers idea of what custom is.  The snow is falling
> and I really would like a door here.  They also have no desire to
> trade bird song recordings for home repair, go figure.

If you are looking for special millwork, try and find out where the
millwork was done. Our local courthouse was renovated and was about that
old. One of the surprises when they tracked down the millwork company
that cut the wood for the main courtroom was that they not only had the
pattern, but they had the original cutters used to cut it. They kept all
cutters they had ever used. That made it extremely easy to duplicate.

My house is only 20 years old, so no problem finding materials. Did the
messy job of stripping the face boards and gutters today. Rain predicted
next couple days, so get a bit of rest. Can't do much on the roof in the
rain.

Speaking of rain and things, we have Upland Chorus Frogs calling with
each rainy spell. Normally a late January - February frog, they have
definitely got their wires crossed this season, beating out even the
late fall callers. I heard the first ones over a month ago.

And the young hawks were trying out their calls around the house today.
Somehow this year they skipped the period when we would see them trying
to hunt in the front field, but mostly just being comical. They seem to
fly properly and hunt fine. Must have practiced up somewhere else this year=
.