Re: Cassowary calls may be lowest bird calls

Subject: Re: Cassowary calls may be lowest bird calls
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:26:22 -0800
In checking out the ruffed grouse signal, Rich, two things seem to
happen depending on the software one uses. If I use a HAM weighted
low pass filter setting, I certainly get a reading (probably
artifact) from the signal showing it almost down to zero. I doubt
it's THAT low. The wingbeats generate lots of pulsed air and,
depending on the habitat and input transducer, there can be
distortion and other acoustic anomalies introduced. If, on the other
hand, I look at the signal with the GWI system, I don't get much if
any signal below 28.5Hz. That sounds more real to me and I would tend
to trust that analysis as being closer to what's actually happening,
if indeed, it's that low.

Bernie Krause