Re: Re: baby elephant sounds

Subject: Re: Re: baby elephant sounds
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 01:32:41 -0400
Rich Peet wrote:

> I sure hope this means what it appears to mean.
>
> akg has long ignored low noise mics.  They have the knowledge and
> resources but their stuff has not come up to par over the years.
> Maybe know they will look at something other than near field.
>
> As far as if their mics can do it? I posted on this group a sound
> recorded with a me-62 and a consumer md that documented 1/2 cycle
> detection a couple months back. So sure (or shure)it can do it.  An
> akg can not do what my mkh-110-1 can do but I am sure that they can
> resolve an elephant.=20
>
> I just want more out of akg than they currently sell.

AKG are often bought by beginners as they have some low price shotgun
mics. It would sure be nice if they made the mics worth at least those
low prices. However, the mics in this article are not the low priced kind.

If I remember right, elephants only go down to 10-15 hz. That's within
the specs of my Portadisc, and probably recordable with quite a few MD
recorders. It is below the specs of the majority of mics, but they do
pick up beyond their specs.

The CK 69-ULS has a frequency response listed as 20-18,000Hz, Self noise
variously listed as 9 dBA or more (varies with configuration), and a
price tag for the capsule unit alone around $1000. Interesting in that
it's a two part interference tube, so is both a long and short shotgun
mic capsule.

The CK-2 is a discontinued omni capsule. 20-20,000Hz, 20dBA noise.

The AKG capsules need to be completed with their C 480 B "preamp" unit.
This is similar to the ME system with a separate powering module, the
K6. That unit adds another $760 to the list price. That's a list of
$1760 for the shotgun mic arrangement. Which makes the mics about the
same price as MKH-70 Sennheisers. Only savings compared to Sennheiser is
in that short-long arrangement of the shotgun capsule.

My experience with MKH mics would indicate there is a big difference
between a purpose built mic for low frequencies (the MKH-110) and the
more usual mics as to sound. You get much better pickup of low
frequencies with the MKH-110 compared to the MKH-20's. Not sure how much
more difference the MKH-110-1 would make as we are really pushing the
recorders and the rest of the circuitry a bit.