Re: Re: cordless headphones

Subject: Re: Re: cordless headphones
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:42:31 -0400
At 12:53 PM 10/13/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Rich,
>The biggest single drawback to the walkie-talkies is trying to find some
>empty air space. It seems that now that they are so inexpensive everyone
>must have them and everyone is using them. We used them on a survey crew
>for a while but it became impossible.
>   Perhaps if the user was way out and far from the multitudes they would
> work fine, but in my well populated area (Delaware) all one can expect is
> a headache. (remember the CB radio fad about 25 years ago? worse!)
>J.

Thanks to Walt, Rich and John!

I agree with John, the airwaves are really crammed with all kinds of
whistling, etc.*  I have used FRS as a safety-net for many years, e.g. when
recording alone in rain forest at dawn - leaving one unit on, by my wife's
bedside while I took the other.  We never needed it, but it did allow me
get messages as necessary without interrupting any recording.  I made a
tiny earphone junction box, where one miniplug went to the recorder out,
the other to the FRS out, so any call coming in FRS goes to my earphones,
and *not* acoustically out into the woods and thence into the mics and
recordings.  Works fine, but I only use it in Costa Rica or Panama or
Jamaica where the other FRSidiots are minimal.

Don't get me wrong, I love FRS and take them on most ventures.  On an ill
planned scout hike in July 199 in Utah, FRS really saved lives!  The trail
formed a large circle, but took much longer than was planned, and about 6
pm one group coming one way was told by FRS that the group going the other
way had lost the sign of the trail and was retracing their steps.  We all
got back to the cars about at dusk, VERY dry (having each used up the 3
liters of water per person we all brought).  I still shudder to think of
that rocky trail after dark, with one group thinking the other was
lost.  Thirst after a few hours turns into staggering and confusion, not a
good mix with steep ravines.

And I'm sure Rich is right about Brookstone, but $ 99 seems a fair price if
it performs as specified, esp. compared with
Sennheiser-why-pay-less?  ;^)  It would, Walt, be nice to know if the
Brookstone phones are digital?  Doubtful I guess.

my best regards,

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates PO Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049

EnjoyBirds.com  - Software that migrates with you.    http://www.EnjoyBirds.com

* But the citizen's band craze began more than 35 years ago. Zum Beispiel I
recall picking up, in Lincoln, Mass, on skip one afternoon in July 1968, of
three women citizens, apparently intent on planning a rally for the then
Gov. George Wallace's Presidential Campaign.  I recall violating one of my
own cardinal rules and making a rude joke on the air in an unfriendly
accent which then stopped them cold.  After a few seconds of silence, one
retorted: "If you're FOR him, I talk to ya'!"  I wasn't and didn't.