Re: New Kid on the Block. With some Queries...

Subject: Re: New Kid on the Block. With some Queries...
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 23:07:23 -0000
Welcome and I hope you enjoy this diverse group.
My comments are embeded.

--- In  "Greg Winterflood"
<> wrote:
> Hello Naturecordists, and thank you Doug, for making arrangements
> for me to come on board.
>
> I've been lurking on the side of this group for about 6 weeks.=20
I've
> been reading through the archived messages of the group - and
> wondering which way to go.  I've followed the arguments about MD vs
> DAT and decided to go with cassette!  I've tried to access an
> Australian supplier of satellite antenna parabolas with no luck.  I
> did send a message to Klas at Telinga but to date have not received
> a reply.  Anyway, I thought I should start with a shotgun mike to
> learn the tricks.  I'll look a little less suspicious with it,
until
> people get used to my antics!

I enjoyed a shotgun for a considerable time and only parted with it
this last year to force myself to stay the course where I was headed.
A shotgun is a great training tool and has a personality different
than a parabolic.  I still miss it and will buy a pair again if money
turns around.

> My interest in recording was sparked by the lovely little White
> Plumed Honeyeater (Lichenostomus penicillatus) which is both
> prolific in numbers and in song here in Alice Springs, Central
> Australia. The male birds have a pre-dawn call which began to
> intrigue me only recently.  Previously its alarm clock timing had
> only served to annoy.  I searched  the web and found some
> ornithological references to recordings of the pre-dawn call of
this
> pretty little fellow and now  -  here I am.=20

A noble sound to chase. Many of us have our own that consumed great
time and effort.  Mine was one of the most common species which after
I started recording competely left my area.  I still have no smoking
gun as to why.

Unfortunately, I have
> not recorded more than 30 seconds worth of birdsong to date.  My ex-
> reporter ex-wife loaned me her old Marantz Superscope C207LP but
> it's mechanical days are over.  Syd Curtis mentioned that same
model
> in a post to the Group in Message 1199.  If anybody knows where I
> can find information on how to safely pull a C207 apart I would
> appreciate a pointer to it. I can get the case open, but haven't
> ventured further as I have a batting average of 50% - it's either
> fixed or broken.  The VU meter is jammed and the machine won't fast
> forward or rewind.  However,  it continues to record and playback.=20
> My initial efforts with a dynamic uni-directional mike with stiff
> cable leave much to be desired.

Good luck. I bet you are already in there. Is c207 more dangerous
than c4?

> Anyway I plan to get recording as soon as the gear I ordered over
> the web arrives.  In the mail is a Marantz PMD222, an AT815b
shotgun
> mike, and a pair of Sennheiser HD-SP monitor headphones.  These are
> being sent by the folk at the "B&H Photo Video Pro-Audio" store in
> New York City.  I decided on that suite of equipment by looking at
> Stith Recording's equipment "packages" which I got onto via the
> Cornell web site.  I thought I should start slowly as it takes
$1.46

I have used B&H and continue to refer to their site as well as their
two volume 10 pound catalog.  They have done everything as expected
and I have no complaints.

> Australian to buy $1 US.  The Sennheiser phones aren't in the
> cheapest Stith package, AKG phones are.  However, the B&H website
> says that AKG can't be sent internationally. I am wondering if AKG
> phones can be incorporated into WMD?
>
> So....I'm 55, a medical doctor currently working in General
> Practice.  I began my medical life as the first ever Intern at the
> Alice Springs Hospital in 1978.  I have previously held positions
> here as an Emergency Physician, Flying Doctor and Aboriginal
> Community District Medical Officer.=20
>
> My recent interests include gliding sailplanes; 4WD trekking in the
> Simpson Desert in my LandRover - binoculars ever ready for the
> elusive Eyrean Grass Wren; GPS games in the glider and in the 4WD
> with GPS connected to Laptop Computer; Messing with computers =96 ie
> surfing the web;Commuting on my mountain bike - blood pressure
still
> high but weight coming down; Fluorescent light technology =96 for the
> front of the bike; and now...bird calls.  I used to be a ham radio
> buff =96 I'm VK8KMD.  When much younger I spent a year at High School
> in Wyomissing, Pennsylvania graduating in the Class of 1965.

I started Ham radio at a very young age this is where the action is
now.  I am a Ham of over 35 years and am not yet 50.

> Having come this far (?) I'm wondering how I get birdsong from the
> tape onto a CD?  I have Windows XP home on a Laptop with 1.2Gig
> Celeron and 256K RAM.  It has a CD burner.  The computer has a mike
> input and a sound card of indeterminate nature.=20

Look for a line input as well as a mic input.  You will be happier
doing transfers at line level.

> At present I'm not keen on parting with $(1.46 x 299) Australian
> Dollars to get Adobe Audition.  I have seen references to shareware
> audio editing software in the Group's posts and am wondering if
> there is a `top of the pops'?

Sorry, I requested the info for others but did not try them all.

  Alternatively, in an effort to tidy
> things up, I guess I can use the ex's Marantz C207 on playback and
> dub to the PMD222.  (That still doesn't get the White Plumed
> Honeyeater onto CD!)  I am assuming that the PMD has variable
speed,
> so another beginners question is: how does one standardize speed
> using such a setup?

I prefer other recorders but if you want to use cassette go to a
music store and buy a very cheap one note "pitch Pipe" used for
tuning instrements and voices. Just sound a note at the beginning of
every tape for a reference.

> Well, that should do as an intro.  I'm very much looking forward to
> getting some decent recordings that I can play in my office, and
I'm
> also looking forward to communicating with the Group.
>
> I can't believe this but that bird just made another call and it is
> way past dusk. That's the first time I have heard that.

The night is alive and will become much more so as you record.  Again
welcome and check into the recordists in .au as they are a very
advanced group of professionals.  You will see some of them here.